The countdown of Cosmos
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i have been waiting three years for this
This was beautiful timing on my dash
I’ve found where I truly belong
Nothing is wrong,
I just slip away and I am gone.
I took a nap and drooled on my electric blanket. I’m pretty sure I just narrowly avoided death by electrocution.
Untamed Science: How to Skin a Squirrel
Last week I prepped a squirrel for the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences in Raleigh with some other YouTube EDU folks! And, of course, there’s no way we could let a good chance to film go by. Our friend Rob with UntamedScience documented the process. No matter how often I prepare something for a research collection I’m always impressed and inspired when I see the same process through another person’s eyes.
<3 natural history
No episode of The Brain Scoop this week as Michael recovers from what I imagine to be the plague.
This was SO FUN!
I channeled my inner Brain Scoop and not-so-politely commandeered one flying squirrel’s skin from its body (in the name of museum science, of course). Like Kyle says, you never realize the magical thing that is your skin until you have to remove it from another creature. Thanks to Rob Nelson for setting it up, and to Emily, Vanessa Hill (Brain Craft on YouTube) and Kyle Hill (@Sci_Phile) for joining me on #teamsquirrel.
You can’t tell in the video, but Emily’s squirrel smelled like warm hell.
All social change is speculative fiction because we’ve never seen a world without poverty, never seen a world with total equality, never seen a world without prisons…therefore activism IS speculative fiction, it’s visionary fiction because we are writing a world we’ve never seen but a world we’d like to live in.
It’s hard and unapologetic but it’s hopeful because it can cause us to move; it wakes up and shows us that change is possible."
fuck yes. poc authors talking about the importance of science fiction for our communities.
no seriously let’s lay this all out
- Sansa starts the series at eleven years old and is currently thirteen
- She is currently the successor to Winterfell, the Lady of Casterly Rock, in line for Riverrun and near to becoming the ruler of the Eyrie
- She managed to trick her abusive fiancé, who was the king into not killing someone
- She survived over a year in kings landing whilst three of her family members died and three others had to run away believed dead
- She stayed strong and polite around those who killed her family, whilst slipping in some subtle insults
- She has managed to get some of the best fighters in Westeros on her side including Jaime Lannister, Brienne of Tarth and Sandor Clegane
- All whilst remaining good and kind and compassionate
But no do keep telling us how naive and bad at the game she is
So… I totally backed the Inception game. If you live near me, I am making you play it with me.